What are the facts?
Increases our Vitamin A. In children it can meet up to 90% of vitamin A requirements each day. Best absorbed with some fat in the meal such as olive oil (as Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin).
Regulates blood sugar
Supports type 2 diabetes regulation, increases adiponectin secretion from fat cells. High in starch to slow glucose absorption.
It can uptake heavy metals (like lead and mercury) from the body while it is moving through the intestines.
Reduces risk of blood clots and nerve inflammation
Enjoying Sweet Potato
- Initially sweet potato is best served to your baby steamed. Leave the skin on as it contains additional nutrients.
Sweet Potato Puree
- Chop your potato into steaming-size portions, and steam
- For some extra flavour, when blending/mashing, add some warmed bone broth! This extra flavour can be the difference between your baby loving it, and refusing it.
Sweet Potato Chips
- These are a favourite in our house – especially with the air fryer!
- Chop your sweet potatoes into chip-shaped portions, and either place in the air fryer or in the oven (180C), covered in oil
- These babies will get soft and mushy if left in too long so make sure you keep an eye on them!
- Add herbs – our favourite is sea salt, thyme and rosemary.
Sweet Potato Fritters
- I know, we only just did zucchini fritters last week! But these are the easiest way to get loads of veggies into your baby. Especially once they’re independent and really want to feed themselves.
- 1/4 sweet potato – grated
- 1 large cauliflower floret – grated
- 1/4 zucchini – grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp quinoa flour
- Optional: finely chopped bacon, or other veggies (grated)
- Grate your vegetables
- Place in a large bowl, and then add the egg and quinoa flour (and bacon too if you like!)
- Mix thoroughly
- Create small balls with the batter
- Place in a pan on high with coconut oil
- Squash flat into the pan, and flip once half is cooked
These are so delicious! Just the right amount of crunch! Filled with nutrition that babies and toddlers (and even adults) will love!