Quinoa risotto is fabulous for the whole family. It is easy to make, fills you up, and you can use whatever vegetables are leftover in the fridge! I always use pumpkin as it gives it a delicious flavour, but you can play around with the additional veggies.
Cooked quinoa in a risotto-style meal is easy for your baby to eat and digest. It is also a nice option for teaching them to feed themselves (though it could get a bit messy, but that’s half the fun!). The more you cook it, the mushier it gets so if you’re concerned with your baby having trouble with chunks, or if you have a big gagger, then cook it a bit longer for more of a puree-style risotto. Otherwise the chunks of vegetables and even bits of quinoa are nothing to be afraid of! Quinoa risotto is appropriate to feed your baby from 6 months onwards.
Quinoa Risotto with Pumpkin
- 2-3 cups of white quinoa (dry) – SOAKED FOR AT LEAST 8 HOURS THEN RINSE
- 500mL bone broth (of your choice!) plus 200mL filtered water OR 650mL filtered water with stock concentrate
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 pumpkin
- Any additional vegetables you’d like, in this case:
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 4 silverbeet leaves
- 1/2-1 cup of peas
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- If you’d like animal products (however, be careful with introducing these too early):
- Goat cheese (8mo onwards)
- Parmesan (8mo onwards)
- 200g of chicken breast (ok from 6mo)
- 200g of bacon or pancetta (8mo onwards)
Before you start:
- Ensure you have soaked the quinoa for a minimum of 8 hours, and then rinsed until the water running of it is clear
- Roast pumpkin, zucchini (and any other roast-able veggies you want) – chop roughly into bite-sized bits, cover in olive oil or coconut oil and chuck in the oven before you begin working on the risotto
- Chop garlic and onion finely and heat in coconut oil in a pan until golden
- Thermomix – Chop at speed 5 for 10 seconds, then cook for 4 min 100 deg reverse speed 2
- If using chicken or bacon – chop and add into pan and let brown for about 5 min
- Thermomix – Attach butterfly, then add in meat, cook 5 min varoma reverse speed 2
- Add rinsed quinoa with 1 cup of water to the pan or thermomix and toast for about 30 seconds (thermomix 30 seconds varoma reverse speed 2) – until water has been absorbed
- Add the bone broth/water or stock/water into the pan and let simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed
- Thermomix – Cook for 20 min varoma reverse speed soft
- Check the quinoa and add extra water if needed
- If adding peas, spinach, cheese – add in the final few minutes of cooking
- Mushrooms are best served when pan fried separately
- Add the roasted vegies at the end and stir through to make your meal!
Want to know more? Come join us in the Fearless Foodies FREE Facebook group where we share our baby food journeys with each other! Be sure to let me know in the facebook group or comment section below if your baby likes this quinoa risotto! I’d love to see photos of your baby eating (and loving) it, or hear how you adapted it to use different vegetables. Hit share if you’ve got friends who will love this recipe!
Quinoa is in my Top 12 recommended first foods for your baby. Want to know what the other 11 foods are? Click below to find out!